Monday, April 18, 2005

Which way did he go George?

Well this weekend was my toughest run ever. We did 16 miles up in Woodside, but I ended up doing between 19-20 miles because I got lost...twice. I probably could have run an entire marathon that day if it weren't for the hills at Woodside. These aren't normal hills, no. These are the type of hills where you look up and you wish you had climbing gear with you. I might be exaggerating a bit. Regardless I got a great feeling of accomplishment from doing my "16" that day. After the run we had an honoree picnic after which I went to a mentor's house and relaxed in her pool and hottub. Taking a dip in the cold pool followed by the hottub was very nice for my sore muscles.

One thing I have to be wary about on these longer runs though is hydration and keeping my electrolyte levels high. I drank a ton of gatorade on my run but eventually got cramps in my quads. I'm going to need to figure how to keep myself properly hydrated on these longer runs when I'm in Japan training since I won't have the same support system I have here. I can't say enough how much I appreciate all the help and support all the volunteers provide. They really deserve as much credit as anyone else involved with Team In Training.

Well I think I'm going to take it easy this week in terms of running so I can recover. Thursday at track workout. Hill repeats. Yay.

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

You're not the only one I know who got lost on the long runs. I know at least 3 other people that got lost last week. Yesterday was our 18 miler & I can't believe I actually finished!

Do you have a water belt that you wear when you run? I have one that holds six 6 oz. bottles & it's helped me tremendously. I'm not sure how things are in Japan, but maybe you can scope out a route before-hand w/ spots that have water fountains or stores where you could get a quick drink.

Are you going on any sight seeing tours after the marathon? A bunch of us from Houston are taking a 100+ mile whale watching/glacier cruise from Seward then a train ride back to Anchorage on Sunday.

Good luck! I hope to see you in Alaska! :)

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home